Map of Middle East Countries

Learn more about Saudia Arabia, Iran, Oman, UAE and more

Overview of the Middle Eastern Countries

The Middle East countries have a lot to offer visitors or ones who are looking to live there.

The region has gorgeous coast lines and majestic mountainous regions. Here is a brief overview of some of those middle eastern countries.

United Arab Emirates

In 1971 six states merged together to form what is now known as the United Arab Emirates (UAE) today.

This country is nestled next to the Gulf of Oman and the Persian Gulf with mountains found in the eastern part of the country. The pristine beaches of many of the cities here are well known.

The UAE consists mostly of a desert like climate, but the mountainous region is much cooler.

There are 5.3 million people that live in UAE, and the languages spoken are Arabic, Persian, English, Hindu, and Urdu. Muslim is the dominate religion of the country, but a Western like consumerism co-exists with this religious culture. Read more about the UAE here!

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Google+
  • Pinterest


As a peninsula jetting out in the Persian Gulf, Qatar is made up of mostly a flat and barren desert. The climate is very hot and humid, but the winters are pleasant.

The population of Qatar is approximately 2 million, and 96% of that population lives in urban settings. Arabic is the official language of the country; however English is spoken more frequently.

77% of the population is Muslim while 8.5% is Christian.

Saudi Arabia

Saudi Arabia is the birthplace of Islam. This country borders the Persian Gulf and the Red Sea.

The climate is that of a dry desert that can have great temperature extremes.

This is due to the fact that most of the country is a sandy desert. The 26 million people who populate Saudi Arabia are Muslim and speak Arabic.


Because of excellent museums and combed beaches, Kuwait has become a retreat location for middle easterners. This country borders the Persian Gulf and sits between Iraq and Saudi Arabia.

The terrain is flat and moves into rolling hills in the desert plain. This is a smaller country with a population of 2 million. These inhabitants are 85% Muslim and 15% other religions.

The official language is Arabic, but English is very widely spoken.


Bahrain, meaning “Two Seas”, is characterized by its beautiful shorelines. This country is an archipelago in the Persian Gulf that is east of Saudi Arabia.

The winters are arid, mild and pleasant while the summers are very hot and humid.

This land mass houses 1.2 million people who speak Arabic, English, Farsi, and Urdu. Of this population, 81.2% are Muslim, 9% are Christian, and 9.8% are of other religions.


Oman has been a main port in the Indian Ocean trade route for many years. This is mainly due to the fact that it borders the Arabian sea, the Gulf of Oman, and the Persian Gulf. The terrain of Oman is desert in the center of the country with rugged mountains in the north and south. Because of the desert terrain, the climate is hot and humid along the coast and hot and dry on the interior. The 3 million people who inhabit this country speak one or more of the following languages: Arabic, English, Baluchi, Urdu, and Indian dialects. 75% of the country are Muslims where the other 25% are other religions. With just a few facts, a traveler now can start to get an idea of the region. Hopefully, you can start to use this information to plan your next trip or your next home.

Pin It on Pinterest