Delicious Arabic Cuisine
Lamb Kofta are small, delicious globes of meat – cooked Middle Eastern style. Koftas made out of ground lamb meat blended with onions, garlics and an assortment of spices is a lip-smacking indulgence for your palate.
The spices add a zesty tang to the meatballs and simply mix a handful of chopped chillies while making the koftas for some extra heat. The spiciness in lamb koftas is rightly balanced by the freshness of coriander and mint leaves. There is no fixed recipe for making lamb koftas.
Every cook puts in their own innovative stroke to the recipe to suit their palate. As these Middle Eastern meatballs travelled across Asia, Central Europe, North Africa ad Mediterranean, every country adds their own native culinary touch to the lamb koftas and gave rise to numerous editions of its recipe.
Every version follows their own way of cooking the lamb koftas. Some suggest to have it grilled or fried, some prefer to steam or poach it while weight watchers love their lamb koftas baked. Lamb koftas are extremely versatile and can be relished in a number of ways. Coat it with a rich piquant sauce or top it up with spiced yogurt or couscous for a ‘palate-blowing’ experience.
If you are feeling too lazy, simply cook the koftas, squeeze juice of lemon on top and tease your taste buds with its divine flavours.
How to Make Lamb Koftas?
• 500 gm ground lamb
• 2 tbsp olive oil
• 1 onion, finely chopped
• 2 garlic cloves, minced
• 2 tbsp chopped coriander leaves
• 2 tbsp chopped mint leaves
• A pinch of ground cinnamon
• 1 tsp ground coriander
• 1 tsp turmeric powder
• 1 tsp ground cumin
• 1 tsp cayenne pepper
• ¼ tsp ground black pepper
• Salt to taste
• Combine the lamb with the spices, chopped leaves, garlic and onion and mix well; season with salt and pepper.
• Rub some oil on your palm, take little portions of the mixture in your hand and shape them up into small balls or koftas.
• Heat oil in a large pan over medium heat and brown the koftas until they are cooked thoroughly.
• Serve hot with a wedge of lemon at its side or with an accompaniment of your choice.